Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Do you know how to manage your salary?

I was listening to the radio when i was on my way to work this morning. The radio dj is talking about how ppl managed their salary. He said a lot of ppl, especially girls, after get their salary, they tend to buy something to pamper themselves after working hard for the whole month. This is true, i myself do this.

Every month, no matter how pok-kai i am, after i got my salary, i will buy something for myself. It's like a kind of motivation, to motivate me to continue to work hard. To repay my hard work. To me, you know how to earn, you must know how to spend.. that is called enjoy life mar..if work work work but no life, wat's the point right?

anyway, back to the topic, it's not necessary that i will buy something expensive, it could be a shirt, a bag, or a pair of earrings, it can range fromRM10-RM200.. but normally i'll spend around RM100 like tat lar..

so the dj said, it's nothing wrong to pamper yourselves, but sometimes we OVER pampered. hmm, we probably buy too many things for ourselves? eg, this month i get myself a hp, next month i got myself a branded bag which costs a few hundred dollars and etc..

A financial consultant in taiwan advised that we should split our salary into 3 - 2 - 1, a total of 6 portions. 3 is for your expenses (house loan, car loan, credit card, food, shopping, movies, entertainment, insurance, basically everything lar..). 2 is for savings and 1 is to invest on yourself (attend trainings, attend some classes that interest you and etc).

I started to split my salary into 3-2-1 and think, is 3 really enough to cover all my expenses? NOT ENOUGH!! then i changed to 4-1-1, hmm, still not enough to cover all my expenses leh...

and then i came out with my own formula, 6-0-0, and of cos 6 is for all my loans, expenses and etc. i think the taiwan financial consultant will faint when she see this 6-0-0, to her, this is probably a total failure in managing my salary!!

what to do.. salary little bit and everything else is so expensive...

8 comments:

Ciyou said...

earn side income(business, mlm,... partime jobs) if u dont't have enuf money, rather then sit here complaining no $$.

Anonymous said...

Ha Joyce,

Most of the ppl like that lah... may be next time u thk of PAY YOURSELF 1ST. means irregardless how, must save some 1st...little better then none..instead of buy somethg for yourself 1st.

Jys said...

well, i guess there's no one will say they got enuf money to spend, complaining about not enough $$ to spend is a normal behaviour of a human being. hehe...

but again, i do agree with you on try to earn side income.. am now trying to do so.. hehe.. see my blog also know lar..

buy something for myself is a must lar.. a motivation mar.. :p

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with rewarding yourself with items you desire. Overdoing it is a different matter though. Afterall, that's the reason why we work, to basically fill our desires and needs, but to an extend where there'll be a limit.

I tend to save my cash more because basically I have nothing much I want, only need enough for daily usage such as food, car fuel, Sammy Vellu tolls, bills, loans etc.

Well, maybe guys tends to save more compared to ladies, hey...because we have to support financially for our lady :P

Jys said...

wuahahah, this is the first time i heard from a guy that said guy actually save more than a lady? well, actually i still think lady saves more, hehe, but i'm the exceptional case lar...

ya, i also agree we must have more savings.. just in case anything happened..(touch wood!!)

Anonymous said...

Money not enough to spend is most of the ppl problem...but i saw a lady fren, she can save more 50% of her pay...1 thg I know she's very low profile, wear normal, buy neccessary only but invest a lot in unit trust, insurance etc so she has higher returns then FD and getting richer. Like wise, ppl like me, not enough to spend, no savings, no investment, insurance little bit. Barang naik harga, ahhh!! Going to jump down frm condo aldy..Bad circulation..

Jys said...

oh ya ya, i got a few friends also like tat, saved up 50% of their salary, but you must know, they are staying with their family, if go out shopping bf pay, makan also bf pays, so basically they just pay for their own expenses, like tat of cos can saved a lot lor..

Anonymous said...

hi, i was doing some research in the topic a found your post. Definitely, the savings part should not be 0, you must always have some saved money in case of an emergency, so I recommend to make it 5-1-0 (which means 83% of your salary in debts and 16% in savings) at least that's what I'd do in your case