Monday, April 14, 2008

Account Suspension from Paypal?

Few days ago, a friend of mine told me she sent an email to my hotmail account, ask me why I nv reply her. I told her i did not receive anything from her as I check my hotmail account everyday. Since she said she already sent it to me, I decided to go check the junk mail folder, maybe it's in there.

While I go through the list in the junk mail folder, something caught my attention. The title of the email is Paypal - Account Suspension and the sender is Paypal. When i open the mail, hotmail warned me that this message may be a phishing scam. Well, i think hotmail did quite a good job here, filtering all these.

I know it's a phishing scam but i never read these kind of emails before. I want to know why people will get cheated by these emails therefore i open it to see. So here's the content of the email.
From: PayPal (service@paypal.com)
This message may be a phishing scam. Learn more
Sent: Thu 4/03/08 9:42 PM
Reply-to: no-reply@paypal.com
To:

We have noticed several attempts of fraud. Seems like somebody tried to access your account.
You are able to log into your account but all your payments are suspended untill you will
update your personal information. PayPal works day and night to help keep your identity safe.
That's why it has come to our attention that your PayPal account information needs to be updated
as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud
on our website. If you could take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal
records you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.

Click on the link below. https://www.paypal.com/

1. The link will take you to our Verify Your Identity page.
2. On the Verify Your Identity page, please fill in the correct information to verify your identity.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team
Wow, very professional right? They are the one who trying to cheat us but in the email they said they noticed several attempts of fraud. These ppl really clever lar. You see the paypal link there? If you happened to click on it, it WILL NOT bring you to paypal website but to some other websites that is similar to paypal. And if you really go enter all your information there, you can now say bye bye to the money in you paypal account!! So BEWARE!!

No wonder there are quite a number of people got cheated by them. Luckily now email filters are quite good, if not, i guess more ppl will got cheated! ~sigh, what kind of world we're living in? Full of cheating...

2 comments:

Zooropa said...

I rcvd this email too for a few times already. But for security, I hv changed my password at paypal immediately!

Dora:)

Jys said...

I also not sure how many times I've received this email as it's in the junk mail folder.